Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Basics

Charles Baudelaire

The Definition The term flâneur comes from the French noun flâneur which refers to one who strolls, lounges, or saunters. The famous art critic of the 19th century Charles Baudelaire of Paris once stated that a flâneur is, "a person who walks the city in order to experience it." Baudelaire's use of the word, combined with the usages of others in economic, cultural, literary, and historical fields, has lead the definition of the term flâneur to extend beyond its direct meaning into a more theoretical realm. The term has often been understood as a way to understand the urban environment and the modern world.

The Mission I have decided to become the modern day flâneur. I am endeavoring to understand my world by simply observing it. I will explore my city, New York City, in the hopes of discovering something, anything really. I will peruse art exhibitions, attend concerts, watch movies, read books and articles, and even just sit on some park bench and stare at the figures that pass by. I am not searching for anything, except that which is interesting.

But, Why? You may be wondering, what is the point of this blog? There are millions upon millions of blogs inhabiting cyberspace, what makes this blog unique, or even worthwhile. But see, the very thing that I think, the thing that I hope, will make this blog unique is the absence of a distinct message. This blog is about finding beauty in ordinary things, in ordinary life. If you do find something meaningful in what I write I will have succeeded, and if you do not find something meaningful in what I write I also will have succeeded. There are no deadlines, no evaluations, and no expectations. This blog is as free as the city it will strive to depict. I want, and I want for you, to become a part of the environments we live in, and find inspiration there. As Baudelaire once said, "In order for the artist to have a world to express he must first be situated in this world, oppressed or oppressing, resigned or rebellious, a man among men."

And so, let the flaneuring begin!







No comments:

Post a Comment